Wednesday 15 August 2012

Why I love living in the Capital

Last weekend I had an amazing time in the Capital - the weather was all over the place but it didn't matter - my enjoyment was spent inside - catching the last of the movies at the NZ Film Festival in Wellington and experiencing some amazing food during Wellington on a Plate.
On Saturday while catching the Diana Vreeland movie I had the opportunity to see the new alterations at the Embassy Theatre. The creation of two new theatres and the new downstairs bar area are beautiful. It is the most amazing decor and in keeping with the rest of the superb renovations completed a few years ago.
On Sunday we went to The Penthouse to see Shadow Dancer, a very powerful movie. Their restaurant is  always a firm favourite for us and the Gurnard we had for dinner beforehand was sooo.... nice!
Hungry and ready to sample some fabulous food (after the Embassy) we took our chances (with no reservation) to lunch at Capitol as they were participating in  wellingtononaplate.co.nz
I had checked out their menu beforehand and I liked what I saw! A starter of Mushroom and Lentil Soup and a main of Veal with Pancetta, Sage and Mash. I really cannot remember the last time I ate veal  or cooked veal for that matter so I was really keen to have someone cook it for me. I wasn't disappointed! 
The soup was delicious, I could of eaten the croutons alone and been happy. The veal -  loved it, melted in my mouth and the creamed potatoes (I'm sure there was a cup of cream in them) were divine!
The man in my  life chose the soup and the squid, he was very content with his choices. Everything was washed down with a glass of Borthwick Riesling 2010. Happy, happy, happy!!
Mushroom & Lentil soup



Veal, pancetta, sage and mash
Squid with rocket salad
 

No comments: