Saturday 18 August 2012

Old Fashioned cooking and mousetraps

I have never been a great fan of takeaways, I know they have their place when life is busy and everyone in the household is too tired to cook! But to me they lack any goodness, and of course being a home baker they lack the love and taste of homemade! Over the years things have improved a bit, I look at takeaway meals in the supermarket, at least they look homemade but they are so expensive for the average household (gosh is that my mother coming out in me!). Yes, cooking at night time after a busy day requires a bit of effort and planning but your children will thank you for it! I can hear mine saying 'well Mum you were hardly ever home to cook for us when we got older' well yes, I was busy earning a 'crust' (excuse the bad pun) and building my career but secretly.....I hoped that as teenagers they would cook the odd meal for me!!
As it turns out both the boy and girl have ended up being great cooks and bakers and are wonderful providers for their families (a bit of pride sneaking in!). I'd like to think they learnt from me when they were much younger, especially when I had to make ends meet while being supported by the welfare system!
When you look at the simplicity of cheese on toast you really wonder why you have to buy a hamburger for a quick meal! I think most homes have their favourite recipe but this one has a bit of a twist. It is a bit fancier than my Mums recipe I have previously posted! I've no idea where the recipe came from - just another cutting I have collected. Lovely for a quick lunch or supper snack for two to four people (depending on how hungry they are) on a wet and windy Capital day! You can alter the amount of bacon to suit.

4-6 slices of bread
1 1/2 cups grated cheese
2 eggs beaten
1 tsp (or a good slosh of Worcestershire sauce)
1 tsp grainy mustard
 salt and pepper to taste
 6 - 8 rashes of bacon (I used less) chopped or snipped into pieces

Mix all ingredients and spread onto bread, I used Burgen but nice on white bread too. Either cut into soldiers before baking or do it after. Bake at 200 degrees Celsius for about 10 minutes until golden and puffed with the toast crispy and dry.

2 comments:

Alessandra said...

Actually, I don't like takeaways, I prefer to make something really simple at home :-).

See you at the NZFBA conference!

Ciao
Alessandra

Make-do Mum said...

Yum! I like making these for the girls!