Friday 31 August 2012

Hail to chocolate - hail!

When I was younger I really did not get that excited about chocolate but something shifted in my brain when I hit a certain significant birthday! So now I share the love chocolate with my lovely daughter and consider being in her company, with a cake of our favourite chocolate between us (children in bed - us watching rubbish television) - maybe with a glass of wine as well - as something pretty darn special! 
Chocolate Cacao shell made by a craftsman
I emailed to say I was attending the opening of the NZ Chocolate Festival 2012 in the Capital, she was jealous. 
I really wish she was able to come with me now as I know she would have been in heaven and we would have really enjoyed it together! I honestly would not have believed it - here was I eating copious samples of chocolate at nine o'clock in the morning. Promise to self - I am booking her with me next year.
This recipe came from one of my ladies in my Old Girls group. I recently made them for a Bellyful fundraising event and they went down a treat. The man and I are still eating the left-overs....YUM! 
RUM AND RAISIN TRUFFLES
¼ cup raisins, finely chopped                   2 tablespoons rum
250g dark chocolate chopped                   ¼ cup icing sugar, sifted
2 tablespoons butter, softened                  chocolate sprinkles/hail
1 small egg white, lightly beaten
Place raisins in a bowl with the rum and allow to stand for 10 minutes (I left it overnight to really soften).  Melt chocolate in basin over hot water and add butter, icing sugar, egg white, raisins and rum mixture.  Mix to combine and chill mixture until firm.  Shape into small balls the size of a walnut and roll in chocolate sprinkles.  Place on a tray and chill until firm.If preferred place in small paper cases.
Ready to be eaten
Pretty as a picture

No comments: