Tuesday 26 June 2012

Pumpkin and books

I belong to a book group, I am a recent recruit but it has been going for 12 years now. We meet each month to discuss various books we have read, then we have tea and (usually) cake for supper! We take turns to host the group in our home and it is my turn next week. I have taken my time to research what to bake as I really like to surprise everyone with my choice of cake on the night. I don't think we consciously try and outdo each other with making something different each time, for me it is more about sharing a new recipe so my friends can add to their repertoire of baking. 
When I came across this recipe I instantly thought of my little grand-daughter aged 4, she will not eat too many vegetables. As she grows older she is slowly adding to her limited list but I have noticed a preference and a love of sweet things (a little like her Mum) and this is the perfect way to introduce her to pumpkin - disguised in a delicious cake!
I love my new zester, a recent addition to my kitchen, how did I manage without one like this....

Pumpkin and Date cake
From Lynda Hallinan’s column  SST – Sunday magazine   
3rd June 2012 from a competition she ran with her readers.

Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
Peel, dice and simmer 450g pumpkin in unsalted water for 20 minutes until very tender.
Drain, press out water and mash until smooth. Set aside to cool.
Grease and line the base of an 18cm square cake tin.
Cream 225g of softened butter, the finely grated zest of 2 oranges and 175g caster sugar until pale and fluffy. Beat in 2 eggs, one at a time, and stir in 150g chopped dates, 40g desiccated coconut and the mashed pumpkin. Sift 275g of self-raising flour and fold into the mixture with 100ml of milk.
Spoon the cake batter into the tin, smooth the top and bake for 1 ¼ hours.
Leave the cake in the tin for 5 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool.
Sprinkle with extra caster sugar to decorate.
Nice served with whipped cream or yoghurt.
lovely and moist and when sliced a pretty orange colour

No comments: