Sunday 3 June 2012

Aprons in the Capital

I wear an apron most days, my mother did too! When I tie it on it is 'action stations' in the kitchen! My latest favourite is a black and white full apron embellished with black ric rac - made for me by one of my oldest friends, Trudy (in time not age!). 
I have many treasured things in my kitchen, mainly because they remind me of someone but also because I have had them a long time and I like the look and feel of them. My apron is no exception.
I attended a lecture yesterday called 'Tied to her Apron Strings' given by Rosemary McLeod during the Handmade festival in the Capital. I loved it! I came away wondering why I loved it so much. Apart from the fact she was a very easy speaker to listen to, she really brought alive part of her textile collection - aprons! Such a simple everyday garment many women wear (or have worn) but it gave the audience a fascinating insight into the lives of women and society. It occurred to me that this little snap shot of social history told me so much about the world at the time - from the material they used to make the apron, to the embroidery styles and patterns of the aprons. From the frilly with big bow styles to the really intricate practical styles that must have taken hours to hand stitch. 
I recall my first sewing project (at aged 11) was a hand-stitched apron for cooking classes - complete with a hat with my name hand embroidered across the front. I really wish I had kept it!  Thank goodness Rosemary cares enough to save these treasures and their stories. 
For me the lecture was a big AhHa moment, why did it resonate with me so much? I think there was a certain amount of nostalgia involved but it was also the whole social history of women that interested me. I reflected on my own home life. My mother spent most of hers working full time in the family home. As the only girl I was expected to do my share of household duties, and from a young age worked alongside my mother learning all aspects of the trade! (At the time I resented it and wished I could 'have the weekends off' like my friends!)
As I grew older (compared to her) our lives were very different, but I am thankful she gave me a practical appreciation and a love of 'domestic chores'. I now create out of pleasure and I often think of her when I knit, sew and mend or tie my apron on to cook!

1 comment:

bee said...

This is my favourite post so far xo