Saturday 9 June 2012

Cinnamon Cream Oysters - A dainty thing from the past

I enjoy fossicking around the Capital's charity shops. Over the years I have found the odd bargain and some old treasures. When I was younger I remember being mortified when (on outings) my mother made me go into 'Vinnies' or the 'Sallies' shops with her. Raised during the Depression she really loved a bargain but I really did not want to be seen in one of those shops! How times have changed!! My own daughter has become a real expert on finding bargain treasures in second hand outlets.
On one of my recent trips I found an old Bonco baking tin, I hadn't seen this particular one for years let alone use one but I recalled baking with it during my school cooking classes. 
I researched  the brand name on the internet but came up with nothing which annoyed me as I recalled the tin was used for a particular type of little cake. I vaguely remembered the name of the cake included oysters, (the tin is shaped like an oyster which was a bit of a hint!) After a little research I finally found the recipe - Cinnamon Cream Oysters - in my 1998 edition of the Edmonds Cookery Book!
They are so easy to make and look really posh on a plate - bursting with whipped cream and perfect for impressing your friends at an afternoon catch up or to take as a 'treat plate' for someone! I shared my test bake with my neighbour who ate three in one sitting, and with a certain graphic designer who ate four!

I have included a photo of the cakes still in the tin so you get an idea of the shape you need. An ordinary muffin tin won't do - you have to have the right baking tin!
Cinnamon Cream Oysters
2 eggs
1/4 cup sugar
2 tsp golden syrup
6 tbsp flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground ginger
whipped cream

Beat eggs and sugar until thick. Add golden syrup and beat well. Sift dry ingredients together and gently fold into egg mixture a bit at a time. Spoon small amounts of mixture into greased sponge oyster tins. Bake at 200 degrees Celsius  (l90 for fan forced), for 10-12 minutes or until the surface springs backs when lightly touched. (Don't keep opening the door to check as they may 'collapse' when you let in cold air!) When cooled, cut oysters open with a sharp knife and fill with whipped cream. Lightly dust with icing sugar.

No comments: