Saturday 16 June 2012

Grandmothers special

It's great when people share their family recipes with me. This one came from a conversation with another grandmother who said it is was a favourite with her grandchildren, Spicy Meat Loaf. 
I remember my children's special lunch request to their Nana was fried egg and chips! Mum and I used to laugh about this as apparently I could not make them properly! It was probably the very unhealthy way it was all deep fried (along with a bit of dripping) that made them 'special' and taste so good! The chips had to be thick and the eggs crisp on the edges with yolks still nice and runny for dipping. I imagine for her it was quick and inexpensive way to feed two starving children! Suffice to say it was a meal rarely made by me at home. I look forward to having a repertoire of delicious dishes to impress and sustain my grandchildren when they visit me. So far, it appears cupcakes are the favourites - especially topped with pink sprinkles or chocolate buttons!
This meat loaf is a bit different with its own yummy sauce. It will easily feed 6 - 8 people and is inexpensive to make. Great with mashed potatoes and peas (my favourite) and nice cold the next day in a sandwich or with salad and beetroot. Thank you to Dianne for passing it on to me.

Spicy Meat Loaf – Dianne Hall, April 2012

2 Onions
500 grams Mince
500 grams Sausage Meat
1 c Fresh breadcrumbs
1 Tbsp Curry Powder
1 egg
Salt & Pepper
1/2 c Milk, 1/2 c Water

Sauce
1/2 c Water
1/4 c Worcestershire sauce
1/2 c Tomato Sauce
2 Tbsp Vinegar
2 Tbsp Lemon juice
1/2 c Brown Sugar
30 grams Butter
1 tsp Instant Coffee

Simmer for 5 Minutes

Combine ingredients of meat loaf, put in large loaf tin
Cook at 180 degrees Celsius for 1 hour
Drain excess fat
Pour over sauce & cook for a further 30 minutes.

This makes a large meat loaf. You can split the mixture in half and make 2 smaller loaves with less cooking time if you prefer.


No comments: