Friday 29 June 2012

Marvey Muffins

My little 'Just Muffins' book (pub 1989) has become a bit of a treasure in my kitchen. You will remember from an earlier post I gained permission from the editor to use her recipes on my blog. It is the book I go to when making muffins. It is peppered with Christchurch advertisments and the names of people who made the recipe contributions supporting their fundraising efforts. I couldn't help thinking about how all these people fared in the earthquakes. On my last visit to my hometown I was astounded by the amount of vacant spaces of land. I was sad to see the house I lived in all my childhood - condemned and deserted, as were most of the houses around where we lived. Many members of my own family have suffered damage and the loss of their homes but now thanks to EQC and insurance they have a brighter future in new homes. So here's a bit of love to Christchurch, and yummy Apple Sultana Muffins by Fiona Marris that is now an absolute firm favourite in our home. So easy too! I have changed the recipe slightly using wholemeal instead of white flour. Use medium size muffin tins or better still use paper cases.

1 3/4 cups of wholemeal flour
salt
125g melted butter
1 tsp baking soda
1 cup stewed apple (hot)
3 tsp mixed spice
1 cup sultanas
3/4 cup sugar
1 beaten egg
Put dry ingredients in bowl. Add egg, then hot apple and lastly melted butter. Bake at 225degrees Celsius for approximately 10 minutes.

No comments: