Thursday 5 April 2012

Turkish cooking


I have a group of friends coming for dinner tonight so I thought I would try something new, sigh.... from my partner cos he loves the dishes I've just discovered and made and will never see again! I am loving my new recipe book, Turkey by Leanne Kitchen (she must get heaps about her surname!). I really plan a meal when friends and family gather as I am at my happiest eating, drinking and enjoying their company. I liked the look of Pekmez Roasted Pears with Feta and Hazelnuts as a starter. But what on earth is Pekmez! I went on line and discovered it was a traditional grape molasses made by boiling down grape juice into a thick syrup. One hour later (and a lot of stirring and checking) I thought it looked thick enough and poured the syrup into a bowl where it promptly turned to toffee! What to do after all the work. I decided to 'water it down' with boiling water and use it that way. It has an unusual taste, the pears are drizzled with the Pekmez and olive oil and roasted for about 30mins, the other salad ingredients are added just before serving and a dressing (also made with it) is drizzled over everything. I really enjoyed the experience of a new flavour and using something I have never heard of before. I hope my guests like it, along with the main course of Beetroot and Yellow Pepper relish salad, honey minted carrots and Beef  & Potato Tagine - slurping on a Shiraz and dunking with Turkish bread as you go! It is a beautiful day out there,  time to relax before the house is filled with people..

No comments: