Sunday 29 April 2012

Lemon Yoghurt Muffins


I always like to cook with the season's flavours as usually we have heaps of produce to use up or the items are  less expensive in the markets! Today I was expecting visitors for morning/afternoon tea and as I had plenty of lemons and walnuts I decided to search my recipe books for inspiration. One book 'Just Muffins' I have used a lot over the years. I purchased it in 1989; published by The Waimairi Toy Library as a fund raiser. I rang the number listed to ask for permission to use the recipe online but the number was out of date. A quick Google and I found the editor Bronwyn Bijl still in Christchurch and after a lovely chat permission was happily granted.
The book contains some useful tips on muffin making~
- don't over mix the batter as it makes a tough and peaked muffin 
- muffin pans should be 2/3 filled 
- over filled pans will make them poorly shaped
- and of course the use of muffin cases makes cleaning tins easier and keeps muffins fresher.
There was also some useful tips if you find yourself short of an ingredient~
Egg - replace with 1 tbsp milk, vinegar and custard powder
Buttermilk - replace with the same quantity of yogurt or milk and 2tbsp vinegar
Milk- replace with the same quantity of water (for a slightly heavier muffin). Powdered milk is often handy in the cupboard too. 
For this recipe I have used my favourite Honey from the West Coast!

Lemon Yoghurt Muffins – Bronwyn Bijl

5tbsp honey
4tbsp butter
1 large egg
1 cup yoghurt
½ tsp lemon zest (I use more)
¼ cup lemon juice
1 cup flour
1 cup wholemeal flour
1 ½ tsp baking soda
¼ tsp salt
½ c chopped nuts

Melt butter and honey together. Beat yoghurt, egg, lemon juice and rind. Add butter and honey. Beat well. Sift dry ingredients. Add wet to dry and nuts, stir to combine gently. Bake 190 degrees Celsius for 25 minutes (reduce heat by 10 degrees or cook for less time if you are using a fan oven).

Not part of her recipe but I like to dip these warm muffins in a mixture of lemon juice and raw sugar for a nice sweet/sour crunchy topping!




No comments: