Friday 20 April 2012

Savoury Mince Roll

I met up with some friends recently at a new Roger Hall play and we got talking about our grandchildren and cooking for them. One grandma talked about a lovely recipe for a meat loaf that was a favourite with her grandies which had 'hidden vegetables' and a tomato sauce topping that they gobbled up and always asked for when they visited! I was intrigued and went searching for something similar. The NZ Radio and Television Cookbook was published in 1974 and it became and bit of a bible in my early 'goddess' years. I found a recipe that sounded about right and tried it! Feeding a couple - it goes a long way! - we are still eating it 3 nights later! It is so lovely and I am surprised I did not cook it for the the family all those years ago.



Savoury  Mince Roll
- J.M Wethey from the NZ Radio and Television Cookbook -  Pub. 1974
Serves 6-8
750g premium mince
1 ½ cups fresh breadcrumbs
1 small onion chopped
1 small apple, grated
1tbsp tomato relish
1tsp Worcestershire sauce
2 eggs, beaten
1 tsp salt
Shake of pepper
¼ cup tomato sauce
2 tbsp brown sugar

Filling
2 tbsp butter
1 small carrot finely chopped
1 small onion finely chopped
1 small green pepper (seeds removed) finely chopped
1 rasher of bacon, chopped
Parsley for garnish

Combine first 9 ingredients and mix thoroughly (using cleans hands is best), I also chopped the first lot and second lot of ingredients in my Kitchen Whizz – saves time!
Saute filling ingredients with butter until soft. Roll the mince mixture out into an oblong shape, about 3cm thick on baking paper or foil. Spread filling over meat. Place in a greased casserole dish (I used a large loaf tin which worked well).
Pour tomato sauce on top and sprinkle with sugar.
Cover and cook at 180 degrees Celsius for about 1 ¼ hours. ( I didn’t cover mine and it was still lovely)
Serve hot garnished with chopped parsley, potatoes and peas or cold with a salad.


1 comment:

kristeen said...

Savoury Mince Roll - I missed the part in the recipe that tells you once you spread the filling over the meat- to gently roll it up! and place in a large casserole dish or large loaf tin. I made this again last week, it is so very nice