Sunday 1 July 2012

The Original Apricot Chew

While I am on a Christchurch theme this slice originally came from The Preservatory in Merivale. It was a fabulous cafe I frequented often (when I lived there), to grab a quick coffee or something for dinner or to arrange a nice tray of special things for one of my (then) clients. It was such a great place but sadly due to the earthquakes the building and business is now gone and a temporary cafe in one of 'those containers' now stands in its place. I feel quite nostalgic about it as the cafe was part of my weekly walking route and one of the first places I took my M when we first got together.
I have made this slice many, many times - today I halved the recipe and it still worked equally well. If you stick to the full recipe it makes heaps, everybody loves it and it keeps well in an airtight container if you want to make it ahead of your 'event'.
The Original Apricot Chew
200g butter
400g tin condensed milk
2 x 250g pkt Round Wine biscuits (I have not been able to find these lately - use Super Wine instead)
2 cups apricots (NZ ones are best)
Mix the melted butter with the condensed milk in a large pot.
Chop the apricots (I use kitchen scissors) and crush the biscuits (the Kitchen Whizz makes short work of this job but don't make them into a powder, some lumps are ok and make the it more interesting).
Add biscuit crumbs and apricots to the butter and condensed milk, stir well to combine.

Press into a lined sponge roll tin (mixture needs to be about 3cm high so adjust your tin to suit). Bake about 150 degrees Celsius for about 30 mins until lightly browned.
Cut when cool.

1 comment:

becky_tee said...

yum, I want some with my cuppa now!