Friday 20 July 2012

Memorable Mushroom Soup

I needed to be a little more organised and to find a system for my bundles of loose recipes,  so.....  over the last month or so I have had a wonderful time sorting through about 30 years of cuttings, pullouts, jotted downs and handed on recipes. It really has been a labour of love, I enjoyed reminiscing through my collection and it struck me that I have always had an interest in food and cooking and it feels good that I now (finally) have time to indulge in it! Two bulging concertina files later -  one for cooking and one for baking - I'm all set - I am probably the only person who will be able to find anything in my filing 'system' though!! It did occur to me I should write my recipes in a nice book, but each little cutting is a story to me, wouldn't be the same.....
This recipe came from a cutting from the Otago Daily Times. In my corporate life I ventured down to Dunedin every two weeks and (as I am inclined to) cut this recipe out of the paper to make another day. That would have been at least 10 - 15 years ago. I Googled the Terminus Restaurant in Dunedin but it appears to be a Pizza place now. It is a deliciously full soup, and while it is called 'cream of ' there is actually no cream in it - only swirled as a garnish, which is great for me as I am not a fan of heavy creamy soups. Don't be tempted to use margarine - you really need to use butter and while it seems a lot, it does make a difference to the flavour of the soup. For soups I use my favourite cooking pot, which is not strictly a Dutch Oven - but that's how I distinguish it from my other pots.
Terminus Cream of Mushroom Soup 
2 onions chopped
4 cloves of garlic
2 stalks of celery chopped
1 small leek chopped
100g butter
500g button mushrooms, sliced
6 large flat mushrooms, sliced
1 tbsp parsley finely chopped
Salt and pepper
6 cups of chicken stock (I made my own)
Cream, basil oil and fried mushrooms to garnish
Cook the onions, celery, garlic, and leeks in the butter until soft, use a large saucepan (or one like my favourite as pictured in the photo).
Add the mushrooms, herbs and seasoning and cook until the mushrooms are soft. Add stock and bring to the boil and simmer for 15 minutes. Cool a little, then puree soup roughly (a Whizz stick makes short work of this).
To serve, heat and garnish with a swirl of cream, basil oil, and fried mushrooms or... chives.
Serves up to 6 people.









No comments: