Friday 11 May 2012

San Francisco Casserole - Easy rice vegetarian dish

I am a Rice Cooker convert. I used to scoff at such inventions but now I am hooked. It makes cooking all types of rice so effortless (with no 'boiling over the stove incidents'!) I am also a huge fan of vegetarian food. The preparation thereof is often labour intensive so cooking rice this way often makes it easier and quicker. I usually cook double the amount of rice and freeze what I do not need. It really comes in handy for cooking vegetarian rissoles etc. 
I am not certain of the origins of this recipe but it was given to me by Elaine who said it's origin is Australian as she got it from her Aussie friend. I have no idea why it's called a San Francisco Casserole!

1 large bunch silver beet (or chard) - tasty way to use a vegetable that grows prolifically in my garden!
4 eggs
2/3 cup milk
1/4 cup butter, melted
1/2 cup chopped onion
2 tbsp chopped parsley
1tsp dried thyme
1 1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp dried mustard
1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
3 cups cooked rice (brown rice is best and nicer)
2 cups sharp cheese, grated

Cook, drain well and chop the silver beet 
Beat eggs and add remaining ingredients (leave the rice, cheese and silver beet to last to ensure the mixture is well combined). Pour into a well greased dish and bake uncovered in a moderate oven (180 degrees Celsius) for approximately 45 minutes. Watch it doesn't brown too quickly, cover with a little tinfoil towards the end of cooking to prevent this. 
Sprinkle extra cheese on top for the last 5-10 minutes.
It is delicious and children love it! 



1 comment:

bee said...

I'll make this!