Tuesday 8 May 2012

Noeline's pikelets

My dear mother passed away on December 30th 2010 but her memory lives on in many ways. She was a great cook, nothing fancy but good practical cooking for a family. Whenever we had family gatherings we often requested her pikelets, preferably smothered in her homemade raspberry jam, topped with whipped cream. I also like them buttered with a good dollop of golden syrup! So does our little Amelie - a recent after school 'lets bake' moment where all said pikelets quickly disappeared..... as I bake them - with a bit of help from Grandpa and Daddy!
Mum's recipe came from her sister and my great aunt Amy, a lady I do not remember as she died when I was only little. Having tried a few other recipes - this is still the best one and great if you need to whip up something quick to take 'as a plate' to an afternoon tea or such gathering. The lovely thing about this blog is those recipes are not lost.

1 egg
1 tbsp sugar - beat together with an old fashioned egg beater

Add 1 tbsp of golden syrup and beat again to combine. I use a large spoon at this stage.
Add 1 heaped cup of self raising flour and a pinch of salt (sieved together), stir to combine.

Gradually mix in (with a large spoon) approximately 1 cup made up of 2/3 milk and 1/3 water and beat until the mixture drops from the spoon, it should be 'thickish' - if it is too runny you have added too much liquid and the pikelets are not as nice looking! Heat your frying pan (I use my cast iron one) and lower the heat to low. 
Place dessertspoons onto pan, turn over when bubbles start to form. Place on a cake rack and cover with a tea towel. 
Note my favourite for this! It belonged to Vera Fletcher, is perfect for the job and has become a treasured item in my kitchen.
 

No comments: