Tuesday 15 May 2012

Ginger Gems


I recently purchased an old ginger gem iron in a second hand shop. It took me back to 'Manual' classes in Primary School so I checked my old faithful cookery book and sure enough found the recipe. It is a great recipe for learners as they are quick and simple to make. Most people I have spoken to about Ginger Gems consider them a 'blast from the past' as you never see them nowadays.  I think they are so easy to whip up, especially if you have unexpected people visiting - lovely over a cup of tea or coffee and they are cute little loaves to look at! I tried adding an extra teaspoon of ginger and swapped the golden syrup for treacle which makes the flavour a little more intense but equally delicious. You can leave them plain or add a slab of butter. So get hunting in the kitchen section of your thrift shops, as ginger gems are a 'gem' to make and they will soon become a favourite with your friends and family!

Ginger Gems (from the 1976 Edition Edmonds Cookery book)
1 ½ cups standard flour (you can use Self Raising but omit the BP.)
1 tsp Baking Powder
1 tsp ground ginger
1/8 tsp salt
1 egg
6tbsp (¼ cup) milk
25g butter (about 2tbsp)
25g Brown Sugar (about 2tbsp)
2 tbsp Golden Syrup
Sift dry ingredients. Beat egg, add milk and add to dry ingredients. Melt butter, sugar, and golden syrup together and mix in last of all. Put into twelve hot greased gem irons and bake 12 minutes at 215 degrees Celsius.


3 comments:

bee said...

would love one of these with a cuppa tonight!

kristeen said...

I saw a ginger gem iron for $79.00 in a shop this week, my secondhand one only cost about $3.00!

Robyn said...

I have just called Mum to see if she has the gem tray from when we were kids, and she has!! it is a small one - 6 gems. I am looking forward to making some this week. I will also try them gluten free and see how that goes. Yum yum!!