Friday 7 February 2014

Roast Pumpkin and Mexican Green Mole

While I have some knowledge of Mexican cooking, it is mainly in the 'bog standard' recipe range. In fact I am such a novice I wasn't sure how to pronounce 'mole', how sad is that! I do now! I made this Mexican Vegetarian dish a few weeks ago. In fact I enjoyed it so much I have launched into seeking out other Mexican recipes. The recipe in question came from a wonderful blog called Pease Pudding http://peasepudding.wordpress.com/?s=roast+pumpkin+with+mexican+green+mole
The author of the blog is Alli Pirrie-Mawer, a woman with 'many strings to her bow'. I met Alli in 2012 when she organised the NZ Food Bloggers Conference during Wellington on a Plate. Due to her work commitments no meeting was planned in 2013 but we have been informed another one is in the pipeline for 2014. I can't wait. I had such a marvelous time at my first one in 2012.
First step done
I am feeling a bit lazy to write out the recipe here but if you go to the link http://peasepudding.wordpress.com/?s=roast+pumpkin+with+mexican+green+mole Alli is more than happy for you to copy it.
I thought two kilograms of pumpkin was a lot for a meal for two of us (even taking into account left overs) so I halved the recipe. I wish I hadn't as we had two (last minute) extra guests for dinner. Thankfully it turned out to be quite enough. It was so delicious we ate the lot in one sitting - sadly no leftovers for my lunch!
I am not a fan of really hot food, so I measured the chilli part very carefully and I put in a little less. I found it perfect to my taste, but one guest needed more heat and piled on extra Chipotle chilli!
I could not find the pickled Jalapeno Chilli in our local shop so they were not added (but I thought it was hot enough without them). Again my guest said they should have been added, mmmmm.... you might like to add them. I found the pumpkin seeds a really nice addition to the mole, they gave the sauce such a great texture. I served it simply with tortilla wraps (quickly warmed/ lightly browned in my fry pan).
Mexican cooking is definitely taking me into unchartered waters but I have now started on a journey to try as many recipes as possible.
Roast Pumpkin and Mexican Green Mole
The final look before serving, it had been sitting a while so not as 'orangey' pretty as Alli's blog photo
A few nights ago we had Oaxacan Green Mole Stew, sourced from one of my vegetarian cook books called Moosewood Restaurant - Cooking for Health. The basis of the mole verde was a can of Tomatillos and luckily I had one in my cupboard, purchased some time ago. Actually the Tomatillos were the most expensive part of the dish! The beans came from my garden and I managed to find five corn cobs for $4.00. While extremely tasty (and it used lots of stuff I had 'hanging out' in my pantry) it is not as pretty to look at like Alli's dish - which may be the decider whether to make it again. (By the way both dishes are great for Vegans).
Oaxacan Mole Stew
So, thank you Alli, your Roast Pumpkin and Mexican Green Mole recipe must be shared - it has become a real favourite of mine too.







1 comment:

bee said...

Sí, por favor, sabroso!
trans: Yes please, yummy!