Saturday 22 February 2014

Preserving and pickling stuff

There is a real resurgence of people interested in preserving now. We all took it for granted when we were younger. It was something our mothers and grandmothers generally did. Most homes in the 50's and 60's had a lovely supply of fresh produce from garden fruit trees and well tended vegetable gardens. And of course, bottling and preserving was one of the ways to ensure nothing was wasted. It meant the pantry was always full of very inexpensive jars of jam and fruit, chutneys, pickles and sauces to consume and gift throughout the year.
I knew all the jars I saved would be handy
In the 1970's and 1980's we went through the deep freezing craze. We owned one such humungous deep freeze. For me, it was always a bit of a challenge to retrieve the items from the very bottom. Usually a large beast would be purchased, chopped up, packaged and stored. By the time you got down to the Spanish chops at the bottom of the freezer you were well sick of the lamb. And don't ask what happened to the cheap bits of bagged beef!
I don't know too many people who go to the trouble of packing their freezers with half a beast or one ton of fruit and vegetables nowadays. But it is good to see the massive revival in jam making, pickling and preserving. It is fashionable again, "to do it yourself"....
I would have a least 4-5 jars of various chutney, pickle, mustard and jams (open) in my fridge. I love sauces and pickles and adore it with crackers and cheese, smeared on vegetable pies, slapped on a meat sandwich or drizzled over my homemade chips.
The huge bag of cloves and peppercorns in my tomato sauce mix
This year a request came from my hubby to make Nana Spence's tomato sauce (long story and no direct relation to me). He raved about it - so the recipe was duly acquired. I am not sure how to obtain permission to post the recipe on my blog as sadly Nana Spence is long gone, but I am working on it.
I also made my mothers green pickle which ended up a bit of the Edmond's recipe and a bit of what I remember she used to throw in -  namely green runner beans, cucumber and cauliflowers from the garden.
To make the tomato sauce we had to purchase a very expensive, super, duper, shiny mouli. We also had to buy sauce bottles. So I think my first batch of sauce was probably a little costly - future batches will be cheaper (gift recipients - please return my little bottles for next years batch!).
I made my marmalade this year from beautiful, juicy grapefruit donated by The Redcliffe Homestead B & B in Taradale, Hawkes Bay. Thank you Sue, it is especially delicious.
I get so much pleasure looking at all the little jars and bottles lined up in my pantry. It makes me smile and the hours and hours of work are so well worth it.....



No comments: