Tuesday 28 January 2014

Bulgar Wheat, Corn and Zucchini Salad

I am just loving the beautiful corn on the cob in the shops at the moment. It is so good to eat, so tasty and sweet. It reminds me of my childhood going through very tall rows of corn growing in our vegetable patch, always searching for the biggest cob and picking it straight off the stalks. We ate it steaming hot with piles of butter, salt and pepper. Even now (although I don't - that would be greedy!) I could easily eat two large cobs in one sitting.
One time, during one of those corn picking expeditions, I came out in a terrible red itchy rash all over my bare arms and legs. I remember (at the time) feeling quite worried I might be seriously ill but I am pleased to say I recovered fairly quickly from the generous dusting of pollen. To this day I am still very allergic to many forms of vegetable, grass and tree pollens.
This Ruth Pretty recipe is a good one to use during the corn season (when or if you ever get sick of eating buttery corn off the cob). Actually I made it for the first time last year, and it ended up being one of the great platters for my birthday (and our wedding) party celebrations.
If you are like me and always in a bit of a hurry, it is fine to use a kitchen whizz to chop up the onions and herbs together. You may prefer to do it the old fashioned way so the onion is a little chunkier. I couldn't get fresh dill locally so used a little dried dill instead which was fine.
I love the crunch and the colour of this salad. And not only does it provide another way to eat fresh corn, it's a great recipe to use up all those excess zucchinis growing in your garden too. 
It's delicious served on its own or as a side dish at at BBQ or summer lunch.
Last week I helped delivered some meals to a Bellyful (vegetarian) client. It was perfect timing to arrive on her doorstep with a portion of this salad, as she was wondering what to have for her lunch!

Bulgar Wheat, Corn and Zucchini Salad
Ruth Pretty – SST Jan 2012
Serves 5-6 or 10-12 as part of an array of salads
Ingredients
¾ c bulgar wheat
4 cups of boiling water
2 corn cobs, cooked and cooled
1 red chilli, deseeded and finely chopped
2 zucchini, finely sliced (use a vegetable peeler)
½ red onion, finely chopped
¼ cup finely chopped dill
½ cup finely chopped Italian parsley
¼ cup lemon juice
¼ cup olive oil
1tsp flaky salt
½ tsp freshly ground black pepper
Method
Place the bulgar wheat into a large bowl and add boiling water. Stir, cover and set aside to soak for 45 minutes.
Drain through a large sieve, discarding the water.
Transfer the bulgar wheat to a clean tea towel, wring to extract the excess water and tip into a large bowl. ( I forgot to do this step but draining it in the sieve for about 30 mins was ok).
Slice kernels from the corn cobs and add to the bulgar wheat. Add the chilli, zucchini, onion, dill and parsley.
Pour the lemon juice and oil into a jug with S & P. Whisk well.
Pour dressing over the bulgar wheat mix, toss ingredients together.
Cover the salad with plastic wrap and refrigerate for one hour or overnight for the flavours to develop or keep for up to 3 days.
Serve chilled or at room temperature.



1 comment:

Anne said...

Both these salads look delicious, Kristeen, I'll try them! Just the thing for this fine weather.