Friday 15 March 2013

What to do with all those zucchinis

I am very jealous of gardeners who can grow zucchinis, it is one vegetable I have been unable (or lack the talent for) to grow in my small garden here in the Capital. It could be the lack of space or the the soil is not right but they do not thrive in my garden in spite of buckets of compost. I can hear you say, 'anybody who has a brain can grow them....!!' but I have tried now for many summers (although not this one which I suspect was a mistake given the fabulous sunshine hours and lack of raging winds here in the Capital). However, this gardening glitch does not stop me enjoying them when in season.
Some weeks ago my B asked for some zucchini recipes, she had so many she had run out of ideas on how to use them. GGrrrrrr I say, I'm jealous....!  but my usual reply would be cheese and grated zucchini muffins, zucchini patties, ratatouille and believe it or not chocolate zucchini cake. However last year I found a wonderful recipe, Zucchini Loaf, that I've made several times now and it is absolutely fabulous. I found this wee gem on the Weight Watchers website and I have served it as a vegetarian main and/or lunch dish on numerous occasions. I am sure once you have tried it, you will be making time and time again. It is equally nice served warm or at room temperature with a tossed salad or (as you can see) with a delicious baked stuffed beef steak tomato. Because the vegetable is 'hidden' you may even entice the little ones to eat a slice of this loaf. Of course if you feel inclined (as I have) you could use the full fat variety of ricotta and feta cheese, it is even more delicious.
Zucchini Loaf - Weight Watchers 2012
Ingredients
3 small zucchini (400g) trimmed and coarsely grated
3 spring onions, trimmed and finely chopped
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/2 c plain flour
1/4 c fresh flat leaf parsley, finely chopped
5 small eggs - separated
2 medium whites
200g low-fat ricotta cheese
120g reduced fat feta cheese - crumbled
4 tbsp grated Parmesan cheese
 Method
Preheat oven to 190 C. Spray a 25cmx15cm loaf tin with oil. Line base and sides with baking paper.
Heat a large non-stick fry pan over a high heat and spray with oil.
Add zucchini and onions and cook, stirring for about 2-3 minutes.






Remove from heat and transfer to a large bowl. Add nutmeg, flour and parsley and season to taste with salt and pepper. Gently fold through ricotta, feta and Parmesan.

In a separate bowl, beat egg whites with a pinch of salt until stiff peaks form. Fold through egg yolks to combine.
Combine egg mixture and zucchini mixture together using a large metal spoon. Transfer mixture to the prepared tin and bake in oven for about 50-55 minutes, or until golden brown and cooked through when tested with a skewer.
Set aside to cool for 10 minutes before removing and slicing to serve. 
served as a main or lunch dish
Best eaten on the day but can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for 1-2 days and gently reheated  or preferably served at room temperature.




No comments: