Friday 22 March 2013

Some days all you feel like is chicken soup...

Some days all you feel like is a bowl of homemade chicken soup.
It has been a very busy week, a visit to see family for the woman and endless project managing the remaining work on the house for the man. However it's good news, as we can now see the light at the end of the tunnel. All that remains is completion of the exterior painting. Lucky for us over the last two months the weather has been fabulous in the Capital ( but I hear you say, no good for the farmers and gardeners!).
I was talking to friends yesterday about the endless cups of coffee and tea we have made for our tradesmen since we started in December, and all the baking of morning and afternoon teas. (I did run out of puff and ideas for a couple of weeks, but was saved by a seasonal supply of Girl Guide biscuits - love the chocolate coated ones!) They were so surprised I went to the trouble to do this as they never provided tea or coffee for their workers and certainly did not bake anything. I suppose I was brought up to offer refreshments for trades people working in your home, it's what you do isn't it .... or am I a little old fashioned here? Whenever I hand over a hot cup of coffee or an ice cold drink they are so happy to receive it why wouldn't you do it?
Back to the soup. My freezer is full of homemade stock. The chicken stock is a by-product of cooking a pot full of chicken at least once a week - to feed our ageing pooch. (She is quite an elegant dowager and still wearing the healing scars of a major operation a few weeks ago). Why use that bought stuff when making stock is so 'pimpsy'! Into your chicken liquid, throw handfuls of chopped celery, carrots, leeks and a bouquet garni plus seasoning to taste. Bring to the boil and to intensify the flavour cook gently for about 30-40 minutes, taste test, cool, strain and for convenience, freeze in 'cupful' containers.
I have blogged my alphabet chicken soup before http://pbearinwelly.blogspot.co.nz/2012/07/homemade-alphabet-chicken-soup.html but it occurred to me (while I scooped up the tasty mouthfuls) how such simple recipes can give so much pleasure, and of course they are so quick and easy to make. It does help if you are a soup fan - which I am. Along with a hot buttered crunchy roll it is the perfect lunch on a sunny Autumnal day.
As they say it is 'food for thought' on both counts, I will continue to look after our trades people, I have it on good authority it is really appreciated. And whenever I feel it is time to stop, relax a little and cleanse my soul, a bowl of steaming homemade chicken soup is just the ticket.

Yum!



No comments: