Tuesday 30 October 2012

Chicken Tomato Pasta Bake with my glass of wine

I know you can buy a jar to make this dish but for me the best food is what you make yourself from scratch, there is no comparison with the final product. Yes, I am known to use the odd tin of something in my cooking but I prefer to make most of my meals from what I have in my garden, cupboard and/or fridge!
Last week this dish came about at the end of a very busy day when I hadn't organised anything for dinner (not like me at all), I was really hungry and felt like something really nice and tasty to go with the wine we had opened. I lined up everything and this is what resulted. Most homes can have these ingredients in their kitchen and it is easily put together within about 20 minutes. I am sure the little ones will love it too. The recipe made enough for 4-5 adult meals but it can easily be adjusted to feed a smaller or larger crowd.
 Chicken Tomato Pasta Bake
 2 - 3 chicken fillets - sliced to chunks
about 2 -3 cups of wholemeal spiral pasta - cooked to just under al dente and well drained
1 large onion - finely diced
I prefer this pasta to plain
2 tins of chopped tomatoes
1-2 tbsp tomato paste
1 - 3 carrots - grated
1 big handful of fresh oregano - chopped
olive oil
Salt and pepper to taste
Cook the pasta to instructions, drain and put aside.




Heat a small amount of oil in a fry pan, brown the chicken in batches and place in a large casserole dish.
adjust the sauce quantity with the amount of pasta and chicken
Add the chopped onion to the pan, fry until transparent, add the rest of the sauce ingredients and gently cook for about 5-10 minutes.
Add to the chicken and mix together in casserole dish. Add the cooked pasta and stir to blend all together.
Sprinkle some grated cheese on top and bake uncovered in a moderate oven (about 180 degrees Celcius) until top is brown and chicken is cooked. Serve with a big salad

.
the wine was perfect with the dish!



1 comment:

bee said...

yum, I think even I could manage that and might try some wholemeal pasta with the kids.