Thursday 5 September 2013

Craft, Cheese, Cookies and Chocolate

This post is a varied one as the title suggests. It has been a very busy couple of weeks! The weather has been very mixed in Wellington, so it has been the perfect time to get some crafty tasks done. I've almost finished my third (for this year) peggy square crochet rug and a cardigan for my newest grandchild. I have also managed to get through a 'brick of a book' for my book group, 'The Luminaries' by Eleanor Catton -  hours of reading by the fire doesn't hurt anyone me thinks!
The weather wasn't great on our little holiday in Hawkes Bay either. But we had a fine time catching up with our dear friends in Taradale - having lots of fun with the usual relaxing, drinking and eating. One of the highlights over the weekend was the Royal NZ Ballet, Swan Lake (having missed out on decent seats in Welly we decided to travel to Napier to see it). It was absolutely wonderful - magic - loved it!
Speaking of magic. The lady of the Taradale house is extremely talented - a wonderful 'stitcher' and general all round clever 'crafter'- another great reason to stay with them. I watched in amazement with how she transformed a plain cake into a work of art (for the Young Friends of the Ballet event), using what she had (stored) around the house - a piece of mirror (skillfully cut from her hubby's horde in the garage), a crystal swan (from her dressing table), a few cake decorating tubes and a lovely silk green ribbon,and viola, a masterpiece! Unfortunately I didn't get a photo of the final result (said lady went rushing out of the house running late) but it was a huge hit.
On our last day I accompanied her to a stitching group, which involved a lot of chatting about current affairs and other important things while stitching. The session also included a fabulous morning tea of delicious (hot, straight out of the oven) southern inspired Cheese Rolls - simple, but a big favourite of mine. Definitely my kind of fun - so much so I am thinking of starting a monthly stitching group myself, any takers??
On Sunday we went to the Hastings Market, it is a great market. I loved wandering around talking to the locals about their work and sampling offerings. One stall that caught my eye was a group of young women from Havelock North High School. They are participating in a Young Enterprise project and have created a business called 'Cookie in a Jar'. All the dry ingredients are in the jar that you place into a bowl and add the wet ingredients as per instructions on the label. They have created five flavours. I loved the concept and brought the Anzac flavour to try. It always makes me smile to see young people so excited about creating a business. I wish them well in their new enterprise. They sell for $12 each and can be contacted at cookieinajar7@gmail.com
Ok, now the chocolate part. Today I am off to the New Zealand Chocolate Festival 
http://chocolatefestival.co.nz/2013/
 As a venerable food blogger I have been invited to the opening and will take the opportunity to spend hour or so wandering around the exhibits - sampling, tasting...... and watching the talented demonstrations. A tough job but as a chocolate lover I am definitely up to it. I went last year and loved it!
I will be posting photos and my feedback in due course.....Give me a few days to get over any chocolate overdose!!

No comments: