Sunday 29 September 2013

Apricot and almond slice

This is one of those decadent slices that can be a little addictive. All the ingredients (on their own) are quite yummy as snacks but combined into a slice it is heaven in a slice tin!
The recipe comes from the Brown Sugar Café in Taihape and was requested by a Dominion Post reader in October 2012. (I can't remember the last time I passed through Taihape but clearly this cafe knows their stuff when it comes to baking).
I filed it away for future reference and looking for inspiration (and something to use a part opened tin of condensed milk) on a wet Saturday afternoon I decided it was time to try it. It's great. I like that it is simple to make. It's a lovely mix of sweet, chewy and crunchy and of course all those fruit and nuts must be good for you. Just forget about the butter and sugar!! 
The crushed malt biscuits gives the slice a nice flavour too. I remember as children (in Winter) we lined up in the kitchen, mouths opened wide, for our weekly dessertspoon of sweet sticky malt extract. My mother kept the tin high up in a kitchen cupboard, I wonder why?
I certainly did not give it to my children when they were little. But according to 'The Telegraph" in 2011, it was having a bit of resurgence. (Interestingly it is still made here in New Zealand under the brand name Maltexo). It comes from a by-product of the brewing process, contains a large amount of sugar and a bit of Vitamin A and riboflavin and is described as 'a tonic to boost general well being'. At one time it was very popular for parents to give to their post-war children. Being a baby boomer we just caught the edge of the wave for such treatments!
Anyway the hint of malt brought back some lovely childhood memories for me. It also reminds me of those sticky MacIntosh sweets - the dangerous ones that can remove your fillings/teeth in a flash - I no longer indulge in those either!
This slice will now be a regular in my 'baking for a special treat repertoire '.
Apricot and Almond Slice – Brown Sugar Café in Taihape  (as in Dominion Post October 2012)
Melt together
125g butter
¾ cup brown sugar
Mix in
½ packet crushed malt biscuits
½ packet crushed vanilla biscuits
Press into a lined slice tin
Base ready for pressing into tin
Place on base, in order:
½ cup chocolate chips
½ cup chopped apricots
½ cup coconut thread
½ cup sliced almonds (I used unsalted roasted)
Drizzle over 1 tin condensed milk
Bake at 30 minutes at 150°C
Final layering
Condensed milk drizzled on top
Cooked ready to cut





1 comment:

bee said...

hmmmmm I wonder if it would post well? : )