Monday 13 May 2013

Simple things are sometimes the best

It is often the small things I observe that can make me happy. Yesterday was a particularly nice day in the Capital and as I was delivering something to Petone I decided to take a moment to walk along the waterfront with our dog. Everyone was out - why? Because there was no howling southerly coming up the harbour, that's why!!
Mums pushing prams, Dads pushing prams, young women (wearing their trendy sunglasses) striding out, happily nattering and the odd bloke clearly on a mission too. The Active Mums class 'hard at it' - with babes in prams watching on while their Mums did their stretches! There were even mums and toddlers on the sandy/stony beach - sharing a bucket and spade - dodging the nesting black and white sea birds, everyone clearly grabbing the last of the calm, balmy autumn days. (At this point I was really wishing I had my camera).
Having lived in the Capital for about 7 years, I am ashamed to say this walk was a first but I just loved it. Watching the antics of the human race, who like me, were enjoying a simple day by the sea, alone in our thoughts, enjoying the sun on our face.
Driving home I saw a blonde woman running along the footpath by a park yelling like a banshee and waving her arms about (like a bird flying), I thought, gosh I hope she is alright? Then I saw her little blonde son running alongside her with his arms flapping - flying too - laughing and having a heap of fun, I thought what a lovely show of 'let's pretend we are birds?' - simple but special fun together.
I came home to a parcel waiting for me. Inside was a Mothers Day gift wrapped in home made paper, so cutely made by my 'Maisie moo'. Inside the paper were two (handmade) mini wheat bags - "to put in my pockets to keep your hands warm on Winter dog walks". Something so simple but thoughtful from my daughter -  for her Mum.
It was an interesting morning of reflection - simple things can really make you think about life and what it really means to slow down and live the moments.
I'm off now to put the slow cooker on. I am trying a new recipe tonight - Vegetarian Pearl Barley Risotto - quite simple, might post it if I have time!



2 comments:

bee said...

This is your best post yet, it's beautifully written, wish I was there with you- with my camera : ) xo

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.