Saturday 4 May 2013

A few of my favourite things (lately)

I have been having fun in the kitchen utilising gifts of produce and using the bountiful crop of lemons from our lovely old tree. I made Quince paste last year for the first time (a recipe by Stephanie Alexander). I have since discovered a number of recipe variations but how it turns out really depends on the ripeness and/or age of your fruit.
Making Quince Paste is a dangerous labour of love but I am hooked on the stuff. If you are not careful you can get 'spattered' with hot paste. To prevent burns I wear a tea towel wrapped around my hand and arm when stirring the mix! My 2012 batch lasted for about a year ( kept in an airtight container in the fridge) and still tasted great. Superb with Blue Vein or any strong cheddar.
I have made Lemon Curd again this year too (about five medium size jars), adding a little more juice to the mix to give it more of a 'tang'. Ummmm, I seemed to have developed a naughty habit of digging a spoon into the jar when I need a sugary/sour'y fix, I really must stop it.......
If you have pastry in the freezer, little lemon merinque pies are so quick and easy to make. You could blind bake a few small pastry shells ahead of time, they will keep fresh in an airtight container for a few days. When dessert is required just spoon some Lemon Curd over the pastry base, whisk your merinque, spread over the curd and bake at 200 degrees C for 10-15mins and viola! your dessert is done.
The Amalfi lemons are glorious little cups of tastiness, lovely as a small starter or (as I used them last night) as a garnish along with chicken pate, served with homemade crostini (you could have instant cheese on toast this way!). You can make these ahead of time and they are so easy to do. If you wish to try these recipes they are in previous posts on my blog.
Here is just a glimpse of these recent favs
Take a dozen 'knarly' quinces
to make into a huge tray of quince paste




Lemon merinque pies - using one of my jars of Lemon Curd
Amalfi lemons (sitting on lemon leaves) - divine as a small starter
Just because I felt like them - tomatoes ready for slow roasting - delish!


No comments: