Wednesday 26 December 2012

Christmas goings on

Christmas day in Christchurch was a winner.
I love the tradition of my Christmas, usually a church service in the morning (with lots of carol singing) then the main meal of the day to look forward to.
This year we all sat outside at long tables and in spite of the cloud overhead I ended up with a very bad dose of sunburn, I forgot about the intensity of the sun here. 
Fourteen adults and eight children from a number of families shared a typical kiwi Christmas mid-day meal. The tables looked lovely, beautiful Christmas paper used as runner on a white table cloth, simply decorated with candy canes and silver and red strings of beads. Our meal really traditional and delicious, our entertainment, typical - watching the children open their presents, squealing, tearing about, enjoying their new toys.

Due to the wind it was a little difficult to keep everything on the table but my dear daughter who just loves Christmas put her creativity to the max by decorating and creating a lovely Christmas table of treats for the children. The ice-cream trees were the final magic touch for dessert, I just loved them - so clever. To find out how to make the trees check out her wonderful blog http://beckypiesky.blogspot.co.nz/2012/12/icecream-christmas-trees.html
Unfortunately there were no icecream trees for the adults, but it reminded me how much I love 'goody goody gum drop' icecream, it is actually my favourite icecream, mental note to self - have two scoops in a cone sometime over the summer, whilst relaxing in the sun, gazing out to a blue Wellington harbour!
I kept my little dish of nibbles for drinks simple, the traditional almonds, raisins, cashew nuts and crystallised ginger. We have the same treats every year and I wouldn't have it any other way. My new addition of homemade Christmas truffles went down well,  they will become a regular from this year onwards.


1 comment:

bee said...

aww, great post mum xo