Wednesday 11 November 2015

Vegan Nut Rissoles



Yes, it has been a while! I have been busy travelling in the United States and doing other such exciting things.  
What can I share about my observations of the cuisine in the U.S.?  It is like the country, very varied and very BIG. Every serving we received was just huge. Why you need ten slices of ham in a roll is anyone's guess. And when you ordered a salad it often came as a serving for four people, not one. In fact we ended up just sharing many of our lunches and dinners! We also found food was often quite inexpensive, especially the take-away -  'all you can eat' for $8.00 variety.
I did enjoy my lovely fresh lobster in Maine (very much) and in Denver tried what they call 'gravy and biscuits' - once -  not so much enjoyed - in fact I thought it was really yuck!! 
You would consider this vegan recipe at the other end of the cuisine spectrum. It came from one of my 'cutting folders'. (They are not getting any smaller either). I was trying to have a bit of a clean out when I came across it filed away. It must be quite old, as it came from the Christchurch Press in my old home town where I moved from 14 years ago.
Everyone loves them, but as with most vegan or vegetarian cooking you need to be prepared well ahead of time! And they would have to be pretty good for you.
Just a note, I found it quite hard to mash the tofu so 'pulsed' it in my Kitchen whizz instead.
I hope you enjoy them as much as we do.
Natty Patty ( Judith Sutton)  a cutting from the Christchurch Press – date unknown
Vegan Nut Rissoles
Makes 12 generous-sized rissoles
440g tofu
1 cup rolled oats
1 c fresh vegetables – grated carrot, pepper, cabbage etc
2 cups cooked brown rice
1/3 cup flour
1 tsp baking powder
1tsp each of salt and hing*
¼ cup peanut butter
2 tbsp tomato paste
¾ cup mixed nuts and seeds – toasted and ground
Black pepper and cayenne pepper to taste
2 tbsp Tamari or good quality soya sauce
Oil for cooking

Place tofu into a large mixing bowl, then mash with a potato masher.
Add remaining ingredients, then combine.
Oil hands and shape into rissoles.
Fry in a lightly oiled pan over a medium-low heat allowing 5 minutes each side.
Good with tomato relish.
*Hing, also known as Asafetida, is a substitute for onion and garlic. It can be purchased from a wholefood shop or Asian store. 
I added a slice of eggplant and tomato for a nice garnish.
 

1 comment:

Benton said...

Greetings, to you and your travel mates, I hope you enjoyed the States. It was my pleasure to get you off to a proper start in Denver. Happy New Year to all, Bob