Monday 21 July 2014

Chocolate Anzac cookies

  Sometimes you have to give into something, and I am not talking about these delicious biscuits. I am referring to the fact that I have not been very well over the last week or so. It started with a sore throat that went away, came back and morphed into a thick throat and a voice that made me sound I was on my last legs!
  It was probably the sleep deprivation that really got to me in the end. On going to bed I couldn't decide if I was hot or cold. Or if I wanted to lie down or sit up. Or creep out of bed so as to not disturb the man. Or stand beside the bed wailing (to wake the man up, with the aim of getting some sympathetic, soothing words!). The only upside to all of this night time activity was that I finished two books in record time.
  I did not have time to be sick. I had a couple of events I wanted to attend during the week, so I 'soldiered' on, swallowing Panadol, immune boosters, lemon drinks etc etc. (You get the picture). Which actually ended up making me feel a bit queezy in the tummy as well. Honestly, give me a break!
  In the end I just gave up, and succumbed to it all!
  I stayed in my dressing gown most of the day, and went to bed for nice Nana naps in the afternoon when I felt a little drowsy. For some reason I rose early most mornings. Perhaps because I decided it felt better standing up, with all the 'toxins' draining downwards my feet. It is now a week later, and I am feeling a lot better. With more energy and enthusiasm for life.....
  During this awful time, I turned to my batch of Chocolate Anzac cookies I had made a few days before all of the above started. They tasted pretty good, no matter what the hour!
  I have posted my best Anzac biscuit recipe before, but this one is lovely with chunks of chocolate and a nice texture. You would have heard of Alice Arndell, she appeared in the NZ Hottest Home Baker series last year. She has since published a cookbook called 'Alice in Baking Land'. Her recipe appeared in the 'Life' supplement of the Dom Post a few weeks ago.
Note: I didn't have the orange infused oil on hand so I just used the zest of an orange stirred into my oil. I also topped up the dark chocolate (I had already eaten over half of it!), with chocolate bits.
My mixture was a little dry and didn't form balls very well, not sure why. But I just added a little more oil to the mixture and they turned out well.
Early morning, nice cuppa and Anzac biscuits (not one but two) while reading the paper


Orange olive oil and chocolate Anzac biscuits 
 Makes about 24
1 ½ c self-raising flour
1 c brown sugar (firmly packed)
2 c rolled oats
½ tsp salt
1 tbsp golden syrup
125g butter
1 tsp Baking Soda
250g dark chocolate (Whittaker’s is best) roughly chopped
 
Preheat oven to 180°C and line baking trays with baking paper.
In a large bowl, whisk together, flour. Sugar, oats and salt. Set aside.
In a microwave-safe bowl, heat golden syrup and butter until butter is melted.
Stir well, stir in baking soda.
Make well in the middle of the dry ingredients and pour in melted butter and orange oil.
Stir until combined, stir in chocolate pieces.
Take a generous spoonful and roll into a ball.
Flatten slightly onto prepared trays, leaving about 3cm of space between biscuits.
Bake 12-15 minutes or until golden.
Cool on trays for 5 minutes before removing to wire racks to cool completely.
Store in an airtight container.


1 comment:

bee said...

Yip, M and I would love some of those when we're up in Oct thank you very much!