Friday 9 May 2014

Spinach and Zucchini Ricotta cake with tomato and eggplant side dish

This is such great a vegetarian option for a meal. I spotted it in the latest Cuisine magazine (Issue 164). It hasn't appeared on their website yet, but I would highly recommend it.
Yes, I am being a bit lazy today and not jotting down the recipe, but you should soon be able to retrieve from the Cuisine website - or you could just buy the magazine.
I made it for a luncheon a couple of weeks ago and it went down a treat. And it was just as lovely warmed through the next day for our dinner.
The recipe is very similar to another post, the Zucchini Loaf, but with the addition of spinach and/or silver beet, more egg yolks and lots of fresh parsley.
Last week I went to make it again and tried to buy Ricotta at one of our very large (and usually fabulous)  local supermarkets. Apparently all brands of ricotta were sold out and they couldn't get more stock in the foreseeable future. It crossed my mind that this recipe was so popular - it emptied the shelves of ricotta in my area!!
Really only kidding.....but something is not quite right is it? Given that we have so many dairy cows and billions of litres of milk production in this country. Makes you wonder what the heck is going on.....
Anyway, back to the recipe. It is perfect for vegetarian dinner party or for that different, healthy and handy substantial lunch dish to transport to a family gathering. Which is exactly what I plan to do next week.
The recipe includes a lovely Eggplant and Tomato side dish which complements it beautifully.
Today's newsflash! ricotta is back on the shelves...
And by the way.... I am busy spreading the word about Eat my Books. For me, it is the best discovery this year!
makes a large round 'cake',  love the crispy bits of Parmesan on top

all those healthy vegetables inside!

with a tomato and eggplant side



No comments: