Thursday 7 February 2013

The humble cabbage made a bit special

When I was younger you couldn't pay me to eat cabbage, I found it very bland and boring. I have grown to appreciate a little cabbage in my stir fries (adds a bit crunch to the dish) and in coleslaw but have never really been a fan of the humble cabbage so seldom buy or cook it . That is until I discovered Johnsons Coleslaw. I am not sure of the significance of the name, certainly not named after me - but this is a winner!
I came across the recipe last year in an article in the NZ House and Garden. It is so easy, goes with all sorts of dishes and perfect to serve for a crowd at a party (I happen to be having one this weekend). It will keep for about 3 days in the fridge, lovely in a sandwich along with whatever salad items you have on hand, great with chunks of ham or chicken. For lunch I smeared some homemade hummus on a wholemeal wrap, added a big chunk of cheese, slices of beetroot and a big scoop of the coleslaw - absolutely delicious.
You may have to hunt a bit for the celery seeds as not all supermarkets sell them. I managed to find them in a local food speciality store. Also, I have made the recipe using 1/2 of cabbage, still tasted great. I was in a bit of a hurry so used the slicing accessory in my kitchen whizz to prepare the onion and cabbage but a purist would carefully slice the vegetables......Here it is and I hope you like it as much as I do.

Johnsons Coleslaw 
1/4- 1/2 large cabbage
1 onion, halved and finely sliced
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup of white wine vinegar (I used cider vinegar - it was just as nice)
just a little over 1/4 cup neutral oil (like rice bran or sunflower/salad/cooking oil)
Good 1/2 tsp celery seeds
Combine cabbage and onion in a bowl -sprinkle sugar over. (I combined it in the pot with the rest of the ingredients and it was ok as well)
Heat together vinegar, oil and celery seeds, seasoned well with salt and pepper until boiling.
Pour over cabbage and onion while still hot then cover salad and refrigerate for a few hours or r overnight.
Toss together and shake/pour off excess liquid before serving.







No comments: