Saturday 29 September 2012

In the Christmas spirit - a bit early maybe??

Spring in Wellington is in full splendour. Yay!!
Shot in Wellington gardens - stunning display of colour
But is it too early to be thinking about Christmas? I had a little clean out of my pantry the other day and found a few interesting (and very odd) items. A half jar of Christmas Mincemeat was amongst the 1/2 packets of this and that, (along with some chocolate I had hidden away and forgot about, darn!).
Anyway back the the mincemeat. It smelt absolutely fine and tasted ok and as I am not one for wasting things (that's my mother in me), I got out my trusty books on 'what to do with your left over mincemeat' and found this recipe in my Muffin book. They came out really well and are perfect for morning tea to get you into the Christmas spirit - even if it is only less than 3 months away!
I think when I make them next time I will smear a little brandy flavoured cream icing on top, just to give them the finishing touch, it would add nicely to the spicy fruit flavour of the muffin too.

 
I am loving the lilac colour right now

Mincemeat Muffins – Just Muffins Pub. 1989 
1 cup wholemeal flour
3 ½ tsp baking powder
3 tbsp sugar
¾ cup milk
¾ cup drained mincemeat
¾ cup flour
¼ tsp salt
1 egg
¼ cup oil
Method
Stir dry ingredients together. Combine liquid ingredients and mincemeat and add all at once to dry mixture. Stir until just blended. Bake at 200°C for 15-20 minutes. Makes about 12


No comments: